Volume 14, Issue 6: Footnotes
1. The Chaconne may be heard on the CD called
Morimur, ECM Records, ECM New Series 1765. It is performed by Christoph Poppen on
a baroque violin with members of the Hilliard Ensemble singing the
chorale melodies superimposed on the violin playing. The performance is superb
and one of the best CD purchases of the year.
1. Aurelius Augustine. The Enchiridion. Chap. XXVII.
2. Ibid. Chap. XXX.
3. Ibid. Chap. XXXII.
4. Francis Turrettin. On the Atonement of Christ. Chap. V, sec. IV.
1. John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Bk IV, Chap. XX, Sec. 18.
2.Rector of Holy Trinity Church v. U.S., 143 U.S. 457 (1892).
1. 1 Walter Camp, American Football (New York: Harper & Brothers, 1891), 19-20.
2. Ibid., 39.
3. Ibid, 66-7.
4. Michael Oriard, "In the Beginning Was the Rule," in S. W. Pope, The New American Sport History: Recent Approaches and Perspectives (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1997), 90.
1. Pullman does not mention Allah or any Hindu god. It is clear that
the problem, not only in our universe but in every universe, is the Christian God.
It is not some vague general god that is being attacked, it is explicitly the God
of the Bible.
2.More Christian imagery is included as they come out of Hell: as in Dante's Divine Comedy, "their eyes took in a canopy of dazzling stars."
1. Peggy Noonan, Friday June 7, 2002. The Other Shoe.
"Obsessing over Sept. 11 distracts us from preventing the next attack." Opinion
2. Patrick J. Buchanan,
The Death of the West, (New York: St. Martin's Press, 2002), 308.