Volume 7, Issue 5: Doctrine 101
A Small Children's Catechism
Who made you? God
2. What else did God make? God made all things.
3. Why did God make all things? for His own glory
4. Why do things work as they do? God has so decreed it.
5. How do we learn about God? God reveals Himself.
6. Where does God reveal Himself? in His word and in nature
7. What does God reveal in nature? His character, law, and wrath
8. What more is revealed in His Word? God's mercy toward His people
9. Where is God's Word today? The Bible is God's Word.
10. How many Gods are there? There is one true God.
11. How many persons are in the Godhead? three
12. Who are these persons? Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
13. Where is God? He is everywhere.
14. How long has God existed? He has always been.
15. How is man unique? He bears God's image.
16. Who was the first man? Adam
17. What was Adam like at creation? He was good.
18. Did Adam remain good? No, he sinned.
19. What is sin? disobedience to God's law
20. What is the penalty for sin? death
21. What came of Adam's sin? Death came to all men.
22. Why did Adam's sin affect all men? we all sinned in Adam
23. Must all men die for sin? No, God elected some to life.
24. How may we be saved from sin and death? only through Jesus Christ
25. Who is Jesus Christ? He is God's Son.
26. Did Jesus ever sin? No, only He is righteous.
27. What did Jesus do for His people? He conquered death.
28. How did He do this? He died, then rose again.
29. What else did Christ conquer? all his enemies
30. Are His enemies powerful? They have come to nothing.
31. What did He give to His people? His own righteousness
32. What did He take from His people? their sin
33. How is Christ's work brought to His people? by the Holy Spirit
34. What does the Holy Spirit do? He gives faith.
35. What is faith? resting on Christ for salvation
36. How do we recognize true faith? it yields good works
37. Who are Christ's people? they make up His church
38. What are the traits of His church? the Word, discipline, and sacraments
39. How is the Word a trait of His church? All God's Word is preached.
40. How is discipline a trait of His church? God's people are protected.
41. What are sacraments? signs and seals of God's covenant
42. What sacraments are there? baptism and the Lord's supper
43. Who is Head of the Church? Jesus Christ
44. What offices has Christ appointed? overseers and deacons
45. Is His Church perfect? It is being perfected.
46. When will it be perfect? at the resurrection
47. What happens at the resurrection? Christ judges all men's deeds.
48. What of those He deems righteous? They dwell with Him forever.
49. What of those He condemns? They perish forever.
50. How does this judgment affect Christ? It magnifies His glory.